History

The Wells Village Library is housed in the former Universalist Church, which was built in 1855 by the congregation. Wells’ original library —  Lochlea Library — was assembled in a room over the garage of Mrs. Annie (“Nan”) R. Huyck who started the collection.  She contributed her own books and opened the room to the public several days a week.  Later, Nan purchased the church in order to move her ever-expanding collection from her property to the village green. She even funded the extensive remodeling necessary to transform the structure to meet its new purpose. On October 12, 1944, in an impressive ceremony, Nan turned the deed over to the town selectmen.  To this day, she remains a beloved benefactress. Indeed, the Wells Village Library serves as a memorial and includes a special section devoted to her original Lochlea collection.
 

Annie Huyck
<span>%d</span> bloggers like this: